Data Protection & Privacy Statement | MTN Ghana
MTN Ghana Data Protection and Privacy Statement
- Our Data Protection and Privacy Commitment
Data Protection and Privacy matters to us and we know it matters to you. We are committed to protecting your privacy, keeping your information safe and ensuring the security of your personal information. To provide you with the most effective products and services, your personal information will be collected, processed lawfully, stored securely and not disclosed unlawfully to any third party.
- Our Data Protection and Privacy Statement
Our Statement explains how MTN Ghana collect, use, and protect your information. It extends to both our control and processing of personal information.
- Who does this Statement applies to?
This Statement applies to:
- All Customers and/or users who are natural persons or living individuals; and
- All Customers and/or users who are organisations.
- All MTN employees and job applicants or prospective employees.
- All MTN suppliers, partners, and service providers.
- All MTN Foundation applicants, recipients, and partners
- What Personal Information does MTN Ghana collect and use?
- Personal information collected and held by us may include but not limited to; name, sex, date of birth, addresses, International Mobile Equipment Identity , mobile phone number, email address, occupation and information contained in supporting documents such as proof of identity and proof of address.
- MTN Ghana and its authorized third parties may collect, store, process the following types of Personal Information :Biometric Data, Racial or Ethnic Origin, financial information , for providing our products, services and for use of our website, information related to your utilization of our services which may include your call patterns, your browsing history on our website, location details and additional information provided while using our services.
- MTN Ghana will rely on the following to process your personal data
- Legal Obligation
In some circumstances, where the processing of the personal data is necessary for the performance of an obligation conferred or imposed by law on MTN Ghana, we will rely on Legal Obligation as a basis to process the personal information you have provided.
- Legitimate Interest
Our legitimate business interests, for example, direct marketing and improvement of our services. Whenever we rely on this lawful basis to process your data, we assess our business interests to make sure they do not override your rights. Additionally, in some cases you have the right to object to this processing. See “Your Rights” section of the statement.
We may rely on the consent you provide in the absence of any other legal basis. Consent will always be presented separately to you, can be withdrawn at any time and you will be given details on how to do so.
- We rely on contract as a legal basis to process your personal information when we need to deliver a contractual service to you or when it has become necessary to process data before entering into a contract with you.
- Purpose of collecting personal information:
- MTN Ghana collects your personal information for a variety of business purposes. These include, but are not limited to:
- Verifying your identity;
- Completing transactions effectively and billing for products and services;
- Responding to your request for service or assistance;
- Performing market analysis and research as well as business and operational analysis;
- Providing, maintaining and improving our products and services;
- Anticipating and resolving issues and concerns related to our products and services;
- Promoting and marketing our products and services which may benefit you and be related to products and services you are currently enjoying; and
- Ensuring adherence to legal and regulatory requirements for prevention and detection of fraud and crime.
- MTN Ghana may keep a log of the activities performed by you on our network and websites by using various internet techniques such as web cookies, web beacons, server log files, etc. for analytical purposes, for analysis of the agreeableness of various features on our site and in accordance with requisite legal requirements. This information may be used to provide you with a better experience on our platforms.
- At any time while you are browsing our site, if you do not wish to share browsing information, you may opt out of receiving the cookies from our site by making appropriate changes to your browser privacy settings.
- If you do not provide your consent for usage of personal information or later withdraw your consent for use of the personal information so collected, MTN Ghana will not be able to provide certain products and services to you.
- Disclosure and Transfer of Personal Information
- Collection of Personal Information: MTN will obtain your consent for sharing your personal information in several ways, such as in writing, online, through “click-through” agreements; orally, including through interactive voice response; or when your consent is part of the terms and conditions which apply to our products and services.
- Internal Use: MTN and its employees may utilize some or all available personal information for legitimate business purposes and related activities within the parameters mentioned above.
- Third Parties: We may have to share your personal information with third parties, including third-party service providers, sub-contractors, other entities within the MTN Group. A ‘Third Party’ is a service provider who is contracted by MTN to provide a service or product which may include the handling, managing, storing, processing, protecting, and transmitting information of and for MTN. This includes all sub-contractors, consultants and/or representatives of the Third party. We require third parties to respect the security of your data and to treat it in accordance with applicable laws.
- Government and Law Enforcement Agencies: We may also share your personal information with Government agencies or other authorized Law Enforcement Agencies (LEAs) mandated under law to obtain such information for the purpose of verification of identity or for prevention, detection, investigation including but not limited to cyber incidents, the investigation and prosecution of crime, and as is required by law.
- Transfer: MTN Ghana may transfer your personal information or other information or data collected, stored, processed by us to any other entity or third party located outside the country of service, only if necessary, for legitimate business purposes for providing services to you. This may also include sharing of aggregated information with third parties contracted to MTN for them to understand our environment and consequently, provide you with better services. While sharing your personal information with third parties, reasonable organizational, technical and security measures shall be taken to ensure that reasonable security practices are followed by the third party and are in line with the Data Protection Principles and Regulations.
- Security Practices and Procedures
- MTN adopts reasonable security practices and procedures, in line with international standards to include, technical, and organisational security safeguards to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, or disclosure while it is under our control.
- Our security practices and procedures are within industry standards. Further, our employees and service providers / partners are bound by Codes of Conduct and Confidentiality Policies which require them to protect the confidentiality of personal information they access.
- We may retain your personal information for as long as required to provide you with products and services or as otherwise required under any law.
- When we dispose of your personal information, we use reasonable procedures to erase it or render it unreadable/anonymized.
- Internet Use – We maintain the security of our internet connections and observe reasonable security measures to protect your personal information against hacking and virus dissemination. However, for reasons outside of our control, security risks may still arise.
- Storage: How do we keep your information?
- We may store your information in hard copy or electronic format and keep it in storage facilities that we own and operate ourselves, or that are owned and operated by our Third parties/ service providers.
- We use a combination of technical solutions, security controls and internal processes to help us protect your information and our network from unauthorised access and disclosure.
- Accuracy: We endeavour to ensure that personal information is accurate and encourage you to update your personal information in our possession as and when it changes by contacting us on the information provided below.
- Your Rights
- Right to access personal information
You have the right to make a request for a copy of the personal information that MTN holds about you (including advertising audience categories and inferred information) as permitted by law.
- Right to correct personal information
You have the right to correct information held about you to ensure it is accurate, relevant, complete, and not excessive.
- Right to object to use of personal information
You have the right to object to MTN processing your personal information, in certain circumstances as permitted by law. However, in instances where the basis for processing is Legal Obligation, you may not be able exercise your right to object.
- Right to opt-out of marketing messages
MTN will not issue targeted marketing to you unless you consent for us to do so. If you no longer want to receive marketing messages from MTN Ghana, you can choose to opt out at any time using the means made available to you. If you have previously opted in to receive personalised content based on how and where you use our network, you can also opt out at any time.
- Contact- How to exercise any of above-mentioned Rights
If you have any queries in any aspect of this privacy statement or if you would want to exercise any of the rights mentioned above, please send an email to email@example.com . and our privacy team will respond to you.
- Changes to policy
We reserve the right to modify this Data Protection and Privacy Statement as and when required. We will post any changes to our Privacy Notice on our website: [ www.mtn.com.gh]. We encourage you to check frequently to see the current Data Protection and Privacy Statement to be informed of how MTN is committed to protecting your information and providing you with improved content on our site in order to enhance your experience.